Sunday, December 16, 2007

BODIES



Yesterday I had the priviledge of going to see the bodies exhibit. I have to say I am really glad I went. I have learned a lot about the body through my massage training and this was a great visual refresher as to just how wonderfully and intricately we are put together. This exhibit has been somewhat controversial concerning who these bodies belong to and the whole moral issue that surrounds plasticising muscles, organs and bones of the deceased. For me the only part I had an "issue" with (not an issue really more of just an uneasiness with the process of what i am going to mention next) was how does one deals with having to cross section a dead body. There is one exhibit in the whole exhibition that shows the entire body cut into three pieces. Back of body in one longways section, middle part of the body, and front of the body. That is a long cut, i struggled picturing being given and having to carry out this job.

Other than that, again I walked away with a new found or maybe new re-appreciation for how we are formed. To me seeing actual blood vessels and nerve paths made me walk with more caution and remember that this is the only body i have. treat with care.
Another very moving exhibit was the lung showcase. They show you what the lungs of a smoker look like which were grey/black. Then they have a bin for people to make a symbolic "pack drop" which signifies people who quit smoking after seeing this exhibit. I wonder how many people really quit though...anyone can quit anything for five minutes. Even after a large banner says that each cigarette takes away two hours off your life, it still makes me wonder. they should give everyone like a black lung key chain maybe this would have a more lasting impact. maybe not.

it was cool to see one of the instructors with the students from the school where I work look at all the muscles and locate the ones that will be on their upcoming test. It made me realize I forgot some of the things that I once knew so well.

1 comment:

Mandy Goldbach said...

Hey Stace
I got to see the Bodies Exhibit in Atlanta about a year ago, and though I was a little squeamish, I'm really glad I went. The part that touched me the most was the development stages of a baby. Just seeing how early a baby develops limbs, fingernails, organs, and how abortion is legal at such a late stage, was just a reminder for me how precious the miracle of life is and that we should protect it and treasure it. Looking forward to reading more blog entries!
Love you, girl - Mandy